Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Our big boy!

   At the specialist yesterday, we found out that sweet Canon weighs an estimated 3 pounds 15 ounces.  His body is in the 71st percentile and his big ole head is in the 90th percentile.  We saw the same specialist yesterday that we saw every time with the twins.  It was the first time that we saw Dr. S this time and it was a little sad for us but I was glad to see him again.  He was able to talk to us a little about what happened with the twins and also did an in depth ultrasound to check Canon's organs because he knew that would help us a little with our worrying.  We don't worry constantly and actually we haven't been given any reason to worry about his health throughout this pregnancy but when they told me that his head measured three weeks ahead yesterday that kind of worried me.  After voicing my concerns he scanned Canon's head again and showed us his brain and let us know that the amount of fluid was normal and that we shouldn't be concerned.  He says that someone in my family just has a big head and so does our sweet boy.  I can deal with a big head as long as he's healthy. 
  We also discussed at what point I would most likely go into labor.  Although Dr. S is only human and can't know for sure, he feels like when I quit the Procardia at 37 weeks that I will have him within days.  This only gives me around 7 more weeks with him in my belly if this is the case and so that's a little nerve racking.  He also said he thinks I will labor quickly because of the amount of contractions that I will have when I stop the meds.  This would be the best case scenario for me because I have read alot on inducing and I do not want to be given Pitocin.  I know many doctors use it but I have talked to many people who's babies have ended up in the NICU because of their heart rate dropping after the mother was given this drug.  Last week Trent's cousin had her first baby and even though he weighed 9 1/2 pounds he has been in the NICU over a week due to him getting in distress during birth.  Supposedly it was because of pitocin and his size and this scared me even more.  So hopefully things will work out and I can go into the hospital and be in labor and have this sweet boy.  I am terrified of how exactly things will go b/c I admit I am a bit of a control freak, but this is obviously not in my hands and I know that God will protect us.  I just DO NOT want my water to break at home or be anything like last time because it traumatized me to say the least.  Please keep us in your prayers as we go through the next few weeks, waiting to meet Canon.  I can hardly contain my excitement and I catch my self standing in his nursery door dreaming of the day he is laying in his crib.

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog and I am so sorry for your loss! I lost my identical twin girls this past June when I was five months pregnant. It has been devastating and very hard! How has been to be pregnant again? I am scared but I would like to have another. Don't worry too much about being induced and pitocin (if you have to be induced that is). I had to be induced at 37 weeks with my first one because while during a routine OB appt her heart rate dropped dangerously low. She was born with no problems. She is 2 1/2 now. Also, I am a nurse and I have worked in the OB area and the NICU. I did not ever see correlations between pitocin and distress. Sometimes bigger babies can have just as much trouble as premature. hope everything goes well for you. I am so happy for your joy!